Constantly itching the scalp and noticing some flakiness along with the itch, is a symptom of dry itchy scalp. Itchy dry scalp can be due to several factors though it may be temporary at times. Dandruff can be the most common reason behind this condition. Continuous itching causes embarrassment in public. Do you know Dry Itchy scalp may also lead to hair loss if left untreated? Severe itching can also point out medical conditions like eczema, seborrheic dermatitis, psoriasis etc.
What are the Causes of Dry Itchy Scalp?
There can be lot of causes for itchy and dry scalp in one. They can be:
Dryness and itching go hand in hand. When you experience dryness and itching chances are high that they are because of the dandruff.
Scalp infection can also be one of the causes of dry itchy scalp with dandruff and the infection can be fungal in nature.
Presence of Lice
Itchy scalp can also be due to the lice present in the hair which cause severe itching and then flakiness due to constant itching of the scalp.
Hair care products
Uses of certain hair care products can disrupts the natural pH balance of the scalp making it dry and flaky.
Heat treatments like excessive use of hair dryers and hair styling products can also lead to this condition.
Natural and Effective home remedies for dry itchy scalp
Natural remedies are the best to use when the condition isn’t too severe. Natural treatments make sure that the dry itchy scalp condition is taken care of. these treatments can be done by both men and women. Here are some home remedies that can help you get rid of the itching and dryness of the scalp. See: Cure hair loss, hair fall due to dandruff
1. Hot oil treatment
Hot oil treatment works wonders for hair. Hot oil treatment strengthens the roots, nourishes the scalp and hair. It also is an effective remedy in treating dry itchy scalp. You will need 2-3 types of oils like coconut oil, jojoba oil, olive oil, almond oil or even castor oil.
- Warm them up a bit in a microwave.
- Use this oil concoction to massage the scalp.
- Gently pat the scalp to increase the absorption of the oils.
- Rinse off after 3-4 hours though keeping it overnight is the best way out.
2. Apple cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is known to destroy virus and fungus. It maintains the scalp’s pH balance also, therefore using Apple cider vinegar will help clear the dryness and the dandruff associated with the dry itchy scalp.
- Take a cup of ACV and mix that with 2 cups of water.
- Apply this on the hair, after the shampoo.
- Keep it for 5 minutes and then rinse off with plain water.
3. Yoghurt for dry itchy scalp
Yoghurt is a nourisher. It hydrates and provides adequate moisture to the dry scalp and also helps clear out the dandruff. Once the dandruff and dryness is gone, Itching will naturally vanish.
Take some yoghurt and apply that directly on the hair roots and scalp. It also curbs the infection. Yoghurt is the easiest treatment and remedy for dandruff.
4. Olive oil and honey
Olive oil and honey when mixed together makes a great combination to combat dry itchy scalp. Olive oil and honey both moisturises the scalp. Honey retains the moisture and olive oil reduces the dryness.
- Mix honey and Olive oil in equal quantity
- Apply it on the scalp
- Massage gently
- Leave for an hour
- Rinse off with plain water
5. Aloe vera
Itching is directly related to dry scalp then what else can it need than something that can hydrate and nourish the scalp. Yes, I am talking about aloe Vera gel. It hydrates, moisturizes and soothes the dry itchy scalp. Apart from that it also heals if there are some minor boils or rashes due to constant itching.
- Take fresh aloe Vera gel.
- Apply on the scalp and roots.
- Leave for 1 hour and rinse off with plain water.
lemon is also a great remedy for dry itchy scalp. Lemon juice clear outs the dandruff hence making the chances of itching to be very low.
- Take some lemon juice and apply on the scalp
- Massage gently
- Rinse the hair after an hour
7. Almond oil
Almond oil with loads of nutrients and beneficial fatty acids helps nourish the dry scalp. When the dryness is tackled itching is no more. You can apply almond oil at night and then rinse the hair next morning. Using pure almond oil is recommended in this case. Almond oil has loads of skin care benefits.
8. Avocado oil
Avocado oil has the resemblance with the sebum/oils that our skin produces, on a molecular level. Therefore, Avocado oil plays a good role when it comes to treating dry itchy scalp.
Apply Avocado oil at least twice a week and notice the results in your dry itchy scalp.
9. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is antibacterial and anti fungal in nature and as most common cause of itchy scalp is dandruff which is a fungal infection. Tea tree oil can be extremely beneficial.
You can add some tea tree oil in water and apply this on the scalp keep it for some time and then wash off.
10. Hydrating fruit mask
Fruit packs are not just limited to enhance the skin’s glow but they can be very efficient in treating dry itchy scalp. Here is a quick recipe for a hydrating fruit mask for dry scalp. You will need papaya, avocadoes and some lime juice.
- Mash the fruits and mix the lime juice into them.
- Apply the fruit hair mask on the scalp.
- Leave it for half an hour
- Wash off with plain water.
Some Do’s and Don’ts when you have Dry Itchy Scalp
- Use a shampoo that is hydrating and not drying
- Avoid using products with alcohol
- Minimize the use of hair dryers
- Drink lot of water
- Eat protein rich and balanced diet
- Do not share the hair brushes etc with anyone
- Check for lice and get rid of them
- Use a dandruff control shampoos that have ingredients like Salicyclic acid, Zinc pyrithione and selenium Sulphide, if the dryness and itching is due to the dandruff.
Trying the above remedies for dry itchy scalp will definitely give you good results and dryness and itching will be greatly reduced. Be consistent in doing the remedies and let them show their results.