Garlic is a very commonly used food items in kitchens. Garlic comes with so many medicinal and health benefits along with the great tastemaker that it is. Garlic is from the onion family only except that the every piece is wrapped in the outer skin. Garlic is high in sulphur content and the characteristic smell of garlic is due to the compound allicin. So, why garlic is so beneficial to include in your diet. well, garlic has high nutritional value with good amount of manganese, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, Selenium and fibers and some amount of phosphorus, iron, calcium, copper, potassium and vitamin B1. There are numerous health benefits of garlic for cardiovascular system. It also enhances immunity, prevents atherosclerosis, reduces vaginal yeast infections, oxidative damage of arteries to name a few to start with.
Health benefits of garlic and the reasons to include them in the diet.
1. Garlic lowers the blood triglycerides and cholesterol due to which it prevents the arterial lining thickening called atherosclerosis which can lead to heart attack.
2. Garlic also prevents the blood vessel damage and inflammation of the arteries. Garlic contains sulphur which lowers the risk of oxidative damage of the arteries.
3. Garlic has good amount of iodine which makes it beneficial for hyperthyroidism.
4. Vaginal infections which are bacterial and fungal in nature can be cured with garlic. Garlic is anti fungal and anti bacterial in nature hence it shows good results in eliminating the infection.
5. Garlic is known to prevent certain kind of cancers like colon cancer, breast cancer, stomach cancer, prostate cancer etc Studies have shown that the cancer tumours were reduced when treated with garlic.
6. Garlic is also said to increase the weight of the baby in the womb. It helps babies to gain weight while they are in the womb and be healthy weight wise at the time of birth.
7. Garlic along with mustard oil is a good natural remedy to give relief in the ear ache. Warm up some mustard oil and add few pieces of garlic. Pour this oil into the ear. 2- 3 drops is enough, it helps relive ear pain and also dissolves the hard ear wax.
8. Garlic also enhances the metabolism of the body due to which it also aids in weight loss. Garlic taken with honey boosts the body’s metabolism which aids in weight control and weight loss.
9. Garlic helps regulate blood sugar levels which makes it good for diabetic people to include garlic in their diets.Garlic can be used while preparing food even if you can’t chew it alone.
10. Garlic along with ginger and honey, is beneficial in warding off common cold and flu. You can chew few garlic pieces every day to keep yourself away from the cold and flu.
So, these were the best health benefits of garlic. Do you know any natural remedy with garlic that is helpful. Do share with us.