Kojic acid is a very popular thing amongst people who wish to light their skin tone. There are several kojic acid laced skin lightening products in the market which proves how much this product is needed. It is also dermatologically proven that kojic acid does helps to make the skin lighter by a few shades at least. For those who are still thinking what exactly is Kojic acid, then here is the answer. Kojic acid is a naturally occurring substance that is used to whiten the skin. This is derived from some of the fungus. Kojic acid is used in around 2 %- 5% intensity and is also mixed with some of the other ingredients like vitamin C, arbutin hydroquinone etc. In this article, we will focus on the kojic acid skin creams that one can try to whiten the skin.
Benefits of Kojic acid for skin:
- Kojic acid is known to disrupt the production of melanin by the melanocytes. This will make the skin lighter in tone.
- It also acts as to remove the freckles and brown spots.
- Kojic acid acts as a mild skin exfoliator which also gets rid of the skin roughness and dryness.
- It will gently bleach the skin and stops melanocytes from producing more than the required amount of melanin in the skin which darkens the skin layers.
- Other than the face this can also be used on the body parts where there is skin pigmentation and darkening like the knees, elbows, back, neck etc.
- It is safer from the hydroquinone and is naturally occurring thus a lot of brands are putting this in their skin lightening product ranges.
- The chemical compound in kojic acid penetrates deep within the cellular layer of skin which keeps dark pigmentation from forming.
- Kojic acid skin lightening creams are known to whiten the skin but care should be taken as they they increase the skin hypersensitivity.
10 Top Kojic Acid Skin Creams in India with Reviews
Now, let’s know which are the kojic acid skin lightening creams in Indian market. These kojic acid creams are used for hyper-pigmentation, melasma, patches, spots and even those scars from acne in teenagers. These creams are not readily available as their availability is somewhat lesser as compared with the other popular skin lightening creams in India.
1. KOZICARE Skin Whitening Cream
Kozicare skin whitening cream contains kozic acid, arbutin, vitamin C and vitamin E, Most of the kojic acid creams will have arbutin as well which is a safe and natural hydroquinone source derived from botanicals. It safely lightens the skin and stops the formation of excessive melanin, therefore the spots, pigmentation, darkness is also prevented. This is available in chemist shops and online. It is used for hyper pigmentation, dark discoloration of skin, age spots, sun spots due to UV exposure, sun tan, acne scars, birth marks and melasma in general. It can also be used for the dark elbows, darker knees, underarms, uneven skin tone and patchy complexion after pregnancy.
On sensitive skin kojic acid may gives redness, rashes etc so use with care.
All skin types except acne prone skin
15g for 170 rupees
2. Kozimax Skin Lightening Cream
Kozimax is a kojic acid packed skin lightening cream. There is a First combination of 5% of Kojic acid and 10% of Vitamin C (in stable form) which helps to lighten the dark spots and dullness on the skin due to pigmentation. It does contain Arbutin too which provides extra whitening of the spotted skin.
All skin types
Kojic Acid DiPalmitate, Vitamin-C, Glabridin, Arbutin, Cyclomethicone
310 rupees for 15g
3. Kozilite-H Skin Lightening Cream
Kozilite H skin lightening cream is somewhat popular cream as I have seen it with a lot of chemist shops. It’s a 20 g pack which is not that expensive. It is formulated to be used for the skin conditions and hyper pigmentation like chloasma, melasma and generalized pigmentation.
Kojic acid, Hydroquinone, Glycolic acid, Licorice, Arbutin, Lactic acid
How to apply:
Cleanse the face with a mild soap or face wash suiting the skin type. Take some of this cream and apply all over the affected area or the face. Massage on the face and neck too. Apply once in the evening and once at night for best results.
All skin types
20g for 349 rupees
4. Kojie San Whitening Face Cream
Koiesans face whitening cream is a kojic acid cream which targets the dark cells in the skin. This prevents the melanocytes to release too much of the skin darkening pigment called melanin. It lightens the dark skin and reduces dark spots and skin patchiness. The wrinkling of the skin also reduces with regular application moreover, the acne scars and pimple marks are also faded gradually.
It is not easily available
All skin types
799 INR for 30g
5. Rococo Skin Lightening Cream with Kojic Acid
Rococo Skin Lightening Cream has Kojic Acid with the Arbutin which are found in Bearberry and Licorice. These powerful ingredients work to brighten up the dull tired skin and decrease the skin pigmentation and remove brown spots on skin. Rococo ahs skin bleaching properties too hence if you stay away from skin bleaching then do not use this. In this cream, the Kojic acid is extracted from mushrooms while the arbutin is extracted from bearberry which is a hydroquinone that inhibits the melanin production in the skin. This step actually proves beneficial in lightening the skin tone and treating the pigmentation.
Kojic Acid, Arctostaphylos Uva-Ursi (Bearberry) Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract
1500 rupees for 60 ml
Men and women
All skin type
6. LUMIX Advanced Skin Brightening Cream
Lumix skin brightening cream is blend of natural active ingredients that are proven to reduce melanin production. This ceases the factors which are responsible for the melanin production. It is packed with the essential vitamins that maintain a clear and spot free complexion. Lumix can also reduce the hyper-pigmentation on the facial skin
All the skin types except for acne prone skin
400 rupees for 20g
7. Raaga Professional De-Tan with Kojic and Milk
Raaga Professional De Tan Cream is a skin cream which has the benefits of milk and kojic acid. Milk is rich in the lactic acid which heals the spots, patches, dullness etc. Kojic acid on the other hand is known to whiten the skin complexion. It can remove the sun tanning and that stubborn pigmentation on the face as well. It lightens the skin and maintains a natural glow that people find attractive and flawless. Raaga Detan cream is a No Ammonia product which has the mild properties of the Alpha Hydroxy Acid that incase cell turnover which I turn fades lines, spots, dullness etc.
All skin types
500 g for 850 rupees
8. Kozilite Non Oily Skin Lightening
Kozilite Lotion is not the regular thick skin cream but this has a non greasy and non oily formulation that is suitable for even the oily skin. It is loaded with the skin w hitening power of the Kojic Acid, Turmeric (haldi), Liquorice, Arbutin, Nicotinamide, Vitamin C, Glycolic Acid and Lactic Acid that is found in milk that beautifies the natural skin complexion.
Availability of this cream is not easy
All the skin types
399 rupees for 50g
9. Arbutin Vitamin C Kojic Acid Skin Lightening Cream
This Kojic acid rich cream is free of the hydroquinone as kojic acid is considered as a lighter and milder version of hydroquinone. It’s a non oily skin cream that gradually lightens the skin complexion by preventing melanin formation in excess amounts. It also ahs arbutin that is derived from bearberry leaves. Arbutin is the natural and safer alternative to hydroquinone. Vitamin C in this skin lightening cream helps fade the dark spots and increases the skin complexion’s clarity.
It is expensive
This is for 2459 rupees
10. Fabindia De-Pigmenattion Cream
This de-pigmentation cream has kojic acid that peels the skin and removes the dark spots and blemishes. This will brighten the patchy skin and skin look even toned. There is allantoin as well in this cream that soothes the skin that is sensitive and irritated.
Dry skin and normal skin that needs skin whitening benefits
490 rupees for 100ml
So, these were the kojic acid skin lightening creams available in India. Now let’s read the unsuitable results of this compound.
Side Effects of Kojic acid products
- Kojic acid is pretty safe when it is used in the 2%-3% concentration but when the concentration of this product is higher than it can prove to be toxic for the skin. As whatever we apply that goes and gets absorbed into the skin.
- There can be some blisters, rashes etc when the kojic acid products are used since they can be skin irritating for the sensitive skin.
- Kojic acid skin creams can have sensitivity towards UV rays hence, application of sunscreen is must.
- Slight inflammation of the skin and sensitivity is also seen.
Now that you are aware about the benefits, side effects of kojic acid along with the kojic acid creams, you can decide if you really want to go for these creams.