Neem Leaves for Dandruff, Hair Growth and Baldness
Neem which is also known as the Azadirachta indica, is the botanical name for the tree. It is also known as Indian Lilac, Nim tree, Margosa etc. Neem is an Ayurvedic medicine used in a wide variety of beauty care products. It is a plant that is very beneficial to the human body and hair. Neem leaves are anti-bacterial and anti-fungal that treats all kinds of diseases and infections. For hair too, the benefits of neem is widely known. These days people here suffering from numerous hair woes like the thinning of the hair, dandruff, scalp itching and hair loss.
Hair loss is a major problem which not only is problematic for the elderly people but young adults or the teenagers have hair loss and hair fall issues as well. Alopecia is the term which is used for too much hair loss and baldness in patches. No one of us would wish to see lumps of hair. Hence, the proper remedies are needed to put a stop on the hair related problems. Neem is a great herb whose leaves, oil, bark powder etc everything is literally used for skin care, hair care and for medicinal use. Not only this, neem tree also purifies the air hence, is considered a sacred tree in India.
So, if you are loosing hair or have dandruff and scalp itching then take help from Neem. It will cure the problems for you. In this post, we will share how you can use neem leaves and neem powder to cure the dandruff, hair fall and to initiate the hair growth. The home remedies include neem hair packs, oils, tonic etc.
Noteworthy Benefits of Neem Leaves for hair
These are the best uses and benefits that neem can give you. Neem is extremely useful for hair.
Itchy scalp and dandruff: Neem contains anti-septic properties that heal wounds and itchy scalp. Once in a while application of this wonderful herb will make sure that you get the squeaky cleans scalp. This will kill the bacteria and fungi responsible for your scalp itching and the dandruff of course.
Dry Flaky scalp: Another problem that many people experience in winters is the dryness of the scalp. Neem leaves are rich in neem oil which eliminates the itching and makes the scalp moisturized. The oil is not very strong but by mixing with some coconut oil will give netter results.
Oiliness: Excessive oiliness is the results of too much sebum by the glands. Oiliness is not that good as we think. So, neem can also take away the excessive greasiness from the scalp. Hence the hair will not weigh down and they look voluminous. More on it later!
Hair loss and baldness: It is the major thing that a lot of us face. There are several factors responsible for the hair loss, thinning and baldness and one can cure that with neem. Neem powder and leaves are rich in elements that can lessen the hair fall and also sure the hair loss which is primarily due to the itchy and dandruff.
Hair growth: Neem oil in neem leaves is good for hair. It can also initiate new hair growth. So, all those who wish to get new hair after the extreme hair loss can definitely get the help from neem and its products like oil, powder, leaves, etc.
Clean Scalp: Dandruff and other scalp infections can leave the skin dry or flaky, neem can curb the dryness and leaves the hair scalp cleaner. Neem also removes the product buildup when you use too many chemicals and products in your hair.
Conditions the hair: Neem also deep conditions the hair as this has the conditioning properties too. When neem oil or the neem leaves are applied regularly on the scalp. You will get happy hair which shines and are bouncy.
Head Lice: neem can also get rid of the head lice. Head lice are seen mainly in kids and even in adults. Unhygienic scalp and not taking proper acre can be the reason. Application of neem will give relief in the head lice.
Method to make Neem powder from Leaves at home
Making neem powder is not that complicated. You can make this powder quickly and easily.
Dry two-three handfuls of fresh neem leaves under the sun for 2-3 days. When there is no more moisture left in the leaves, crush these to make a smooth and fine powder. You can also grind the dried leaves to achieve a powder.
This is neem leaves powder. This can be used for various purposes like for hair, skin and health. But here we are going to talk about the neem and its uses for the hair like in scalp problems and growth.
Store this powder in an air tight container and use when you need.
How you can use Neem Leaves/ Powder for Dandruff Cure
Neem is effective in wonderfully treating the scalp itching and dandruff infection. Here the remedies will show up different ways to apply with neem to get relief in dandruff. Let’s find out the various uses of neem home remedies to get rid of dandruff and induce growth.
1. Neem and Lemon Juice
- Take 2-3 teaspoonful of neem powder and add ¼ cup of water in it.
- You will get a runny paste of neem and water. In that add 1-2 teaspoonfuls of lemon juice.
- Apply this all over your scalp and also on the hair.
- Rub gently to loosen up the dandruff flakes and to soak yup the scalp deeply.
- Keep this for 30 minutes then wash the scalp with clear water.
- Repeat this at least 2 times in a week for excessive dandruff and once in a week for mild dandruff.
2. Neem and Tea tree oil
- Take handful of neem leaves and mix ¼ cup of water.
- Blend the leaves to make a smooth paste of neem.
- Add 5-6 drops of tea tree oil and mix it well.
- Apply this paste on the scalp and leave it for 30-45 minutes.
- Wash with normal water and repeat twice in a week.
- Do check our elaborate post on Tea tree oil for dandruff and hair growth
3. Neem leaves and Tulsi leaves
- Take equal amounts of the neem and the henna leaves in a bowl.
- Now add some water and put these in the grinder.
- Grind them until a smooth lump free paste is formed.
- Apply this paste on your scalp with dandruff and leave for an hour.
- Wash your head with water and cover with towel.
- This will excellently remove the dandruff and other scalp problems.
4. Neem and henna
- For this, you can either take neem leaves or powder.
- For henna too, you can use henna leaves or the pure henna powder.
- The basic idea is to mix 2 teaspoonful of henna powder with 2 teaspoonful of neem powder. So, if you are utilizing the leaves then handful of both would be sufficient. Then grind them with water.
- For powder, just mix ample amount of powder to convert the powder to paste like consistency.
- Finally apply the paste on the scalp and leave for 1 hour.
- Wash after that. This should be done once a week.
5. Neem Rinse
- Take a sauce pan and add 1 litre of water and add a handful of fresh neem leaves.
- Boil the water until it leaves half and let this get cool down.
- Strain this mixture and fill it in a bottle.
- So, when you have washed the hair.
- Use this to give a final rinse to the hair.
- It is very good for cleansing the scalp and itchy skin.
How to try Neem for Hair loss and Promoting Hair growth
Mustard oil with neem leaves
Hair loss and hair fall is the common problem seen in teenage and adult people. It is the cause of dandruff and the result of improper conditions of health and beauty. But with the regular usage of neem leaves you can get rid of hair fall and achieve strong and shiny hair. Mustard oil is rich in vitamins and properties that boost hair growth naturally after a few applications. Neem leaves combined with mustard oil is a perfect outcome of rich hair fall control treatment. See the best hair oils for hair growth in India
How to make it?
- First of all, take 5 full spoons of neem powder which is easily available at your nearest grocery store.
- Add 5 spoons of mustard oil in it
- 2 spoons of pure coconut oil (it makes your hair soft and long): completely optional
- A thick paste will be formed with these ingredients
- Now detangle your hair and apply this pack onto your scalp properly
- Do not miss any part of your scalp and then apply the remaining pack onto the mid and ends of your strands
- Keep it for 45 minutes and rinse off with shampoo and conditioner
Neem and Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
This natural remedy is for any type of hair problems like lice, dandruff, hair loss, baldness and dryness. Basically, it is a natural herb hair cleanser that prevents all issues and makes your hair healthy like never before.
How to make it?
- Boil some water in a pan (around 5-6 cups)
- Add 7 leaves of neem leaves in it and then add handful of Indian gooseberries (amla)
- In that also put 3-4 3 reetha (soapnut) in this mixture
- Heat it for 2-3 minutes and let it soak for overnight
- In the morning, strain the water and wash your hair with this liquid
- Follow this routine for a month to see visible changes in your hair.
Neem and Olive oil
Dry and damaged hair is the stage when your scalp produces less amount of sebum than required. It is the outcome of improper heath and lack of nutrients like vitamin, protein and fats in the body. So to avoid this condition, neem paste can be used. It makes hair soft and manageable. Yoghurt is rich in essential fats that penetrate the hair shaft and repair chemically treated hair.
How to make it?
- Take some fresh neem leaves and wash them
- Grind the leaves in a grinder until you get a paste
- Add 1/4 cup of yoghurt in the neem paste
- Add 2 full spoons of olive oil
- Mix well and apply it onto the scalp
- Massage and then follow the tips and ends
- Lastly, rinse off after 30 minutes with cold water
Neem powder to fight baldness and alopecia
Neem and Fenugreek Powder
- Mix neem and fenugreek powder in equal amounts and make paste using little bit of powder.
- You can take both 1 teaspoonful each for men and for women 2 teaspoonful each would be adequate.
- Use this on the scalp and leave for at least 2-3 hours.
- You can apply this and do your work.
- For long hair make bun and put clips to prevent it from spoiling your clothes.
Neem Powder and Curry Leaves
- In a bowl, Mix neem powder and curry leaves like 2-3 teaspoonful each and them grind them.
- You can either try neem powder or leaves, anything will be good.
- Apply this on the scalp and then leave for 1 hour.
- Rinse with cold water. It aids in hair growth and also treats the hair which is thinning.
Hibiscus with Neem
Hibiscus is a flower which is used a lot for hair growth and for curing aloepecia in males and females. You too can take help from this.
- Take 1 teaspoonful of neem powder and 1 teaspoonful of hibiscus powder.
- Make paste with milk. Apply on the scalp.
- Leave for 2 hours.
- Wash with regular water.
Neem Hair Packs and Masks
Neem hair packs and masks are also considered beneficial for curing hair loss and dandruff problems. So, these herbal neem based hair marks are multipurpose, like they will treat the dandruff and also shows good results in minimizes hair fall. Furthermore, these remedies will also promote the hair growth.
Neem and Aloe Vera Pack
To make this homemade neem pack, take 2 teaspoonful of neem powder and add 2 teaspoonful of fresh aloe gel. Mix and apply on the scalp. Wash after 1 hour with plain water. See How to use yogurt for hair growth
Bhringraj and Neem Pack
Take 1 cup of neem leaves and ½ cup of bhringraj leaves. Mix them with some water and add in the grind. Make paste and apply. Rinse the scalp thoroughly after 2 hours. This is one of the best neem masks for hair growth as it has bhringraj.
Neem Powder and Rose water
Simply make a paste of neem powder with rose water and sue on the scalp. Keep for 30 minutes and rinse. This will reduce the dandruff and ditching of scalp. Moreover, it will eliminate lice and makes hair shinier and lustrous.
Neem and Honey
This Neem hair pack too is good for curing hair fall. Take crushed neem leaves, around 2 teaspoonfuls and add 2 teaspoonful of honey. Apply and wash your hair after 2 hours. This is a deep condition pack as well which induces hair growth and shine.
Precautions with Neem
Neem is fairly safe product to use for skin and hair but still you can take some precautions.
While applying neem with lemon juice always use that little near the ear and wait for 15 minutes. If there is no itching or burning sensation then go ahead and apply on the full scalp.
Keep a careful eye while using the packs and remedies stated above and make sure you do not out that in the eyes. Neem is not harmful but we need to take care. Eyes are sensitive.
Before using any remedy apply some of it on the hand too to see if you do not develop any rashes etc. some people are allergic to certain things which even they may not be aware of.
This is how you can use neem powder and neem leaves for dandruff, baldness and hair growth.
If dandruff, scalp itchiness and hair loss is your concern the you will also enjoy our similar article on the subject.